Monday, March 25, 2013

Lid or Plaque???

It's a beautiful Spring day here with balmy temperatures just below freezing and gorgeous flowers blooming below the buckets of snow in the yard!  I had hoped to post this earlier today, but we've just recovered from a 3 1/2 hour power outage, so here it finally is.  I wish I wasn't so dependent upon electricity and heat, but alas it's finally back on and we're (snow day for the kiddos) happily thawing out together.  Once power returned I was able to hug my little silhouette and smile upon it as it went busily to work helping me create the decorations for this box cover.







Here is the original wooden box lid that I've decided to salvage and revamp.  It was a holder for Celtic stamps; which now have a new home and the box was too cool, but needed a new purpose. :)




Here's the cutouts that Ms.Cameo finished up for me and they are all part of the challenge happening over at Our Creative Corner which is Music and Kraft cardstock that I couldn't pass up!  Viola, here's the Kraft pieces drying from their Gesso bath and you'll also notice the elements of musical notes.





Do you like my miniature antique wash board?  The entire project actually evolved from this very first piece.  I was on Pinterest and saw some neat ideas for decorating a laundry room and saw one of these in someone's vintage room and wondered if I could make a miniature...and I did! Very simple design to create on the silhouette and using Kraft paper, I cut out each section 4 times to add layering for thickness.  The metal of the washboard is actually white corrugated cardboard purchased from Linda's Funkie Junkie Boutique and I've aged it with the faux patina technique.

Close-up of the music sheet flowers with Kaiser brad centers and each piece of foliage has been embossed with the musical folder.

 The bridge of piano keys flowing across the washboard and little musical notes flitting across the top.
Had to add the little bird as well because I love them. They have absolutely nothing to do with laundry, but if you sit outside with a nice cool glass of tea and begin to watch them, they can monopolize quite a bit of your time and therefore aid in the procrastination of said laundry task...always a plus in my book!
Okay, so here's how the laundry and the bird and the music notes all tie in together. I just love this sentiment from Berthold Auerbach. 
 Get it? Washes away = laundry...LOL! 
 If it was the last thing I did, I was going to make this washboard fit onto something with a symbolic meaning. I think I made it work just fine.

Here's the lid decorating the actual box in its original state.  I'm debating whether to close off the back of the lid and make it a wall plaque and then use the box base for another plaque or keep them together.   
What's your opinion?
Thanks so much for sticking around to get this far and I really and truly appreciate your time, visits and comments.
Hugs n' Happy Crafting,
Lisa xx

Other Fabulous Challenges I would love to enter:
Sugar Creek Hollow - An Altered State

36 comments:

Paper Profusion said...

You've made a wonderful and very pretty musical scene Lisa. Love the washboard - what a fab idea. Stay cosy warm. Nicola x

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow its fabulous . I love the washboard .. reminds me of my grandma .. i wish it was as spring like here lol
Lisa x

Words and Pictures said...

Wow, Lisa - this is right up there with my favourites of yours... probably my new number one!! Love the crackle background, and all the movement you've given the elements in your gorgeous collection on top: the piano keys are fantastic, the washboard is amazing, the flowers are beautiful.

I also love that you've left the base of the box "naked" - looks so cool!
Alison xx

Mary J said...

How gorgeous, Lisa! I love all the texture and flowers!

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Lisa this is fabulous, the more I look at it the more I see, I love it!!
Kevin xx

Karon said...

Your laundry room is going to be the most fabulously decorated around. I love all the elements you have managed to include in this wonderful creation. TFS and have a great week.

Tammy said...

I'm so happy to hear someone else is enjoying the balmy weather we're having this spring! NOT! The box lid is incredibly beautiful and so inspiring! With your unbelievable talent, unless you are going to use the box as a gift of personal use, I'd suggest repurposing it also! Wonderful creation!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Q
Wow!!! what have you produced for me this week... a stunner it seems, Love all the cut-out elements and your washboard is unique and only you could make it work on a creation and produce symbolism. I love the Piano keys, flowers, music notes and the crackle Bg is fantastic,(you will have to drop me some hints on how you create such good ones!)
Thanks so much for joining in this week at Our Creative Corner, I do so appreciate your support.
I am sure Spring will arrive soon...ish!
Smiles:)
Sue

Marie-Louise said...

This is absolutely wonderful. I love it and all the little embellishments. Since you are so very talented I think you should use this as a wall hanging and do a second project with the base.

Candy C said...

Lisa...this is such a lovely piece! There are so many wonderful details on this. I thank you for sharing so many wonderful pics and details with all of us! That washboard is genius! I totally love that tucked in amongst the beautiful Kaiser flowers and the other sweet die cuts. Your distressing was wonderful on this project! Love it all! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Tracy said...

If you can create another something as awesome as this(and I know you can) then pop that baby apart and have at it. FABULOUS and so imaginative Twang. Hugs!

Chrissy said...

Oh! Lisa..this is just fantastic, gorgeous details and just love the little wash board....ahhhh!!..those were the days...sunlight soap and a wash board,my Nana must have been in wash heaven..lol..love the flowers and the design...wonderful.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Shahrul Niza said...

So lovely!!. The washboard turned out gorgeously, love the patina. If you separate the lid from the box, kept the bottom, attached it to the lid with metal wires (vertically), then turn the bottom into a shadow box!. They made a great wall hanging :). Perfect to display little treasures in the laundry room. What do you think?. HUGS.

Sonia said...

Wow wow wow,This card is so gorgeous^_^
Adorable image and lovely papers^_^
Beautiful detailing also^_^
Big hug,
Sonia

WeirdCat said...

This is absolutely gorgeous
Ruth x

Anonymous said...

wonderful, love your colors and design...so happy to see your work at sch this week...lizzi

Deloris said...

Awesome! Love it!

Pia S said...

Gorgeous creation, Lisa! There are so many details, just love how you've put everything together - candy for my eyes!

Sandy said...

Oh Mrs. Lisa - I love it - beautifully done!!!! If you ever want to bring the kids to Western North Carolina, I can promise you free room and board. My grandmother used a wash board in her very old fashions bath tub and then hung the clothes out on the line. I stayed with her a lot and I well remember this task. Wonderfully designed Lisa and it is music to my soul!!
Sandy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh yes it does...fabulous quote! FABULOUS piece here...just fabulous! the crackle, the wash board, the tattered florals, the die cuts...especially the piano keys...ohhhh, I love it all, and am so impressed! Beautiful work! Thank you for taking the time to quote something for our challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

krcmasterpiece said...

This is the most amazing mixed media! I love it so much!

Kelly said...

You are very good at the plaque making lately, this one is just as gorgeous as the other. I love how you made the wash board and the sentiment is perfect. This is so beautiful and I would hang it on the wall and make a complimentary one with the other half of the box. Very nice project.
Hugs Kelly

Yvonne said...

Love this. Love the vintage feel and the delicate nature of your piece. Love the quote as well.

Paula-Scrap Addict said...

Girlfriend, this is amazing (I never had any doubts it wouldn't be tho)... I love the technique you used on the keyboard, fantastic. I'm so glad you still find time to play along with Our Creative Corner (this week I didn't, shhhh) Take care!

Mitralee said...

YOU are the queen of coolness. That rocks!!! We have been calling the Silouette the SILLY so let me know if you wanna be in the SILLY CLUB!

I can't decide on whether is a frame or a box...sometimes these things take time. Tomorrow you will need a spot to stash something and voila! An answer is formed!

Anonymous said...

Such lovely work, full of texture! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week! - Ashli :)

Lili said...

Hi Lisa,
I am so happy to see your creation in our gallery. I love washboards and yours is terrific. I really enjoy to look at the process of your creation, and how the project takes shape. Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner this week!
Take care my friend!
Hugs ;)

Sharon Wheet said...

love all the photos of your process and the finished plaque is just gorgeous!
thank you for playing along with us @ OCC. I hope you get a chance to play along with us again, soon

Annette Green said...

Gorgeous piece of art. So lovely to look at all the details and layers.

Margaret said...

Oh, I love the way you think... Anyone who can spend a day creating a decoration for the laundry room instead of actually doing laundry is brilliant in my mind! And then adding the tip of bird song for detaining the task even longer...GENIUS!

This is absolutely fabulous and definitely needs to be on display. However, the box is pretty cool so I'm thinking you need to turn it into a laundry room chocolate box. For every load of laundry you complete, you get a chocolate... or on really bad days, for every piece of clothing that gets clean... OR...you could send it to my house and I'll fill it with chocolate and indulge in a piece every time you complete a load of laundry! The possibilities are endless!

Lori said...

Totally in love with the teeny washboard! (I have a real one that's pretty small and adorable and made specifically for delicates. I think I'm glad we have washers!) Love all the cool texture and pretty music elements!

Unknown said...

Hi, I would just like to say that this piece is such a high quality, striking, one of a kind beautiful piece of art, well done infact better than well done !!!!!!

Heather said...

Gorgeous!! I love everything about your altered box!
Thank you for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!
Hugs
Heather

Jenny Marples said...

What an awesome make and such clever ideas. That washboard is inspired! Well done on your well deserved win with this. Hope you've had a wonderful Easter, hugs Jenny x

Karen T said...

I love this project! I asw it on LInda's Funky Junkie blog too, So well done!!

Jeanne J. said...

If I lived closer to you I'd have to arm wrestle you to give this up Lisa! I love all the little embellishments and could stare at this for hours - a treasure box that is a treasure in itself!