Saturday, May 25, 2013

Energy Drink Inspiration....


Welcome back again to the inspirational journey of Quirks and Onion. If you remember, last week I posted a fork project that was the outcome of a group motivational process, well, WOW, has this trek ever been uplifting!  As promised, we have challenged each other again this week, BUT...there's even MORE good news.  Another amazingly talented bloggy buddy of ours has joined in the fun!  Welcome aboard to Mitra from Mitralee!!!  We don't yet have a nickname for her, but the wheels are turning, so beware of future postings from Onion, Quirks, and (to be decided!)

This week's personal challenge to ourselves was to use...
Metal!  
Here is my transformed Monster Java can that I've painted in Gesso.  In front of it is another recycled can that will later become the butterflies.  It also doubled as the evil nemesis to the tip of my pointer finger. No worries, the Mickey Mouse bandaid saved the day!
Once Gesso dried, a covering of Clear Crackle was added and then TH Distress paints of Broken China and Salty Ocean were then applied.
Recycled tin can butterflies using the SU! Embosslits Beautiful Wings
This sentiment comes from the Silhouette online studio and I found it to be very poignant.
Unfortunately I tore up the A in "that", so I had to substitute the wording with the TH Idea-ology Alpha Parts Newsprint.
To support the sentiment I used the butterflies as representation.  You'll notice the intentional puncture wound in the side of the can. I wanted it to represent the idea that they evolved and became intricate and beautiful; distinctly different from their initial state of silvery metal. You'll see the same concept in the drinking hole on the top of the can.
Here's a little shot of flowers and back of the can.
The flowers are also a cut file from the Silhouette Studio and the centers spritzed with Dylusions Bubblegum Pink Ink Spray
Sure, I could have just sent these little cans on to be recycled and they would have become something else; probably useful, somewhere else, but for me....they serve as a wonderful little quirky element sitting on my desk that makes me smile and reminds me daily to do just what it says. :)

Please stop on over to see what my friend's Sue and Mitra have in store...
I CANNOT WAIT to see them!!!

Thanks so much for your visit. I hope I've left you with a smile.
Hugs n' Happy Crafting...
Lisa xx
Until next week....OH boy, it's a good one too!

Challenges I would love to enter:
Path of Positivity - Challenge 2
Frilly and Funky - Sunday Share (Linked supplies are from The Funkie Junkie Boutique)


25 comments:

Marie-Louise said...

Another great project Lisa. It's marvellous . Such a fabulous imagination.

Tammy said...

Wowweee! Absolutely fantastic and very clever! Sorry you nipped your finger but for art's sake, thanks!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Q
If this is the standard of design and innovation that you are setting for these Challenges, then I for one have to lift my game.
Goodness me, your altered aluminium can is so beautiful, it is not only flowing but releasing so much energy, your metal butterflies symbolises you and your work perfectly; they are uninhibited in their extroverted brights; a mix of warm and cool hues, their intense vitality expresses movement, activity, exuberance and above all, unrestrained joy. What more can I say it oozes your quirkiness and your wonderful personality, and I am so very happy that these Challenges are bringing out the best in you. I don't know how you are going to top this!!!!
Smiles:)
Sue

Lisa Jane said...

ooh wow this is so pretty - i am ust loving all those flutterbys
Lisa x

Fuzzy Slippers said...

WOW! I never would have imagined an energy drink could have another life as something so beautiful! This ROCKS!!!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Love this altered soda can, Lisa! And the sentiment fits the project so perfectly. Beautiful butterflies and flowers - love the vine effect and the colors are fab! I noticed that you intended to enter it in Sunday Share, but I didn't see your project over there. I just opened a new linky for this 2-week round and invite you to submit this wonderful piece of work!

Hugs,
Linda

Shahrul Niza said...

I'm ear-to-ear looking at this masterpiece!:). Fabulously fluttering. I LOVE that you didn't paint them all, left some of the original can's pattern seen :). LOVE LOVE LOVE!!. Hugs.

Paper Profusion said...

Well I think Sue above expressed (brilliantly) exactly what this piece exudes - it is SUPERB Lisa and so you! Very very inspirational! Happy Memorial Day Weekend. Nicola x

Jenny Marples said...

Oh WOW Lisa!!! I've never seen a drinks can transformed in this way - what a gem! Love that you have used a tall can and fit those letters on so they are spaced perfectly. Will be revisiting this loads for inspiration. Hugs, Jenny x

Mitralee said...

are you kidding me! This is also my second trip here...this morning I tiptoed to my pc to see what you came up with....I LOVE IT! I am glad although I am sure you weren't at the time that the A did not fare so well causing you to make the one font bigger...and I have that little butterfly die myself and now I want to try it with the metal! Oh my goodness this is super amazing inspiring there Quirks! Thanks so much for having me a long for your artistic journey!

Karon said...

WOW, Lisa - see there you go! Out of the box again - you are amazing! This creation is beautiful! TFS

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow.. Lisa, this is such an amazing project! Love how you altered these materials and all of them turn out perfectly. Thank you for the inspiration. ^_^

Words and Pictures said...

Unbelievable, Lisa - this is beyond brilliant... I love your punctured can, the delicate - and wonderful - sentiment, and those swirling, twirling, curling (thought you'd like that!) butterflies!! Glorious inspirational make!
Alison xx

Sandy said...

You are so clever - you once told me that you like to make your own rusted metal embellishments. You must be very good with tin snips. A wonderful creation full of fun and whimsey and part of your finger. This piece deserves a place of honor no matter where you put it. Glorious!!
Sandy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW!!! The metal can and metal butterflies are wonderful! Love the crackle and the color of the butterflies! What a stunning project, and I love the challenge you are doing with your buddies...so inspirational and a great way to find mojo!

Kelly said...

Your posts are just amazing, great ideas in that pretty head of yours! Now you have me so excited for next week too. I think that these would be great centerpieces also for a party or by a pool, love it!
Hugs Kelly

Decosse's Dynamite Doodles said...

Has anyone told you lately how incredible you are? If not, I'm doing so now. Wow and did I say wow? Although I may also have double wowed on the last post. Such an incredible idea. I can't wait to see what your next challenge amongst the three of you brings. Thanks so much for linking to the Path of Positivity.

Hugs,
Lisa

Mary J said...

AMAZING! Wow, I thought that was a ceramic vase when I first saw it but I think it is even better in metal!! Kodos to you!!!

Pia S said...

WOW! I love how you transformed tin cans into this beautiful piece of art! I love the colorful butterfies and sentiment. Gorgeous work!

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Lisa I absolutely love this!!!!
it is brilliant!!!
Kevin xx

Sandy said...

So cool the ultimate recycling..
Sandy :)

Tracy said...

Injured in the line of crafting. Ouchie! If if would have been me I'd be missing several digits. It's a fun projects for your challenge Twang. Hugs!

Lori said...

Wow - I'm beyond impressed what you've done with a drink can! Beautiful...

Patricia St Martin said...

Never now what to expect... This totally amazing, I LOVE YOUR CREATION. That sentiment is perfect. These cans you can do so much with. Have you tried metal art, dadada this is metal art, I mean stamping on metal or even drawing, they have metal tools to work with but they are very costly but if you can learn to us a stylist and a soft mat it works real good. I cut my cans top and bottom off and lay them flat, I put something heavy on them so they stay flat, just some thoughts.
Hugs, Patricia

Margaret said...

OK, I am LOVING this little trip you are on! The energy is seriously vibrating off of this fabulous can! The metal butterflies are gorgeous, even if they are a bit vicious! Can't wait to see what you do next!!