Sunday, October 23, 2011

Blue Christmas Without You...

Unconventional Christmas Card Colors
Here is my DT card for another challenge at
Make It Monday
Where the DT's have feverishly been working, like elves in Santa's workshop, to create amazing projects for your inspiration!
And our gracious sponsor this week is none other than...
With a prize of a £10 voucher 
We can't wait to see what wonderful paper creations you make that we can drool over!

Close Up of Crocheted Flower
Was a little melancholy today when I was making this card since the kids and I won't be able to
spend the holidays with their dad this year.  Decided that I would make blue the primary color for this card.  

(Brief Intermission For a Little Love Note)
"Since I know you, my husband, read this blog from overseas, I just wanted you to know that even though we can't be together for the holidays, you are ALWAYS with us in our hearts and on Skype, thank God for Skype. We are SO proud of you and realize that you are making the bigger sacrifice.  We LOVE  you so much and can't wait for you to come home. 
Next Christmas I won't ask Santa for anything ('cept maybe a new stamp set, but only one and possibly a gift card to Hobby Lobby, but that's it, or a few new Tim Holtz products, but other than that, nothin' else,) because I'll already have the best gift ever...
YOU!"
and that's the truth!
(End of Brief Intermission)

Back to my card...
The DP is unusual, but it's a lovely design with acorns from Stampin' Up!
The snowflake is red felt that I've covered in Versamark and heat embossed with silver powder.
Crocheted the flowers out of baking twine and added an antique button sprinkled with a dusting of
Duo Blue-Green Pearl X.  
Adhered them all together with a hot glue gun.
Tags were edged with Mellow Moss and the sentiment is from the new Stampin' Up! Petite Pairs stamp set.
Additional felt snowflake added with gold stickles.
The basic rhinestones are colored with Copics B34
The white and gold winter wonderland ribbon is from Celebrating With Ribbons.
Golden Mesh is also behind the Snowflake and fans out for a bit more flare.

Variety of blues seen here
That's it for this card.

Now onto...
PICK OF THE WEEK
(and may I just say...CRIPES...this never gets any easier!)

This totally UNIQUE card really caught my eye.
Love the creative shape, the message and the waaaay out of the box thinking!
Nicely done Hannelie at
Desert Diva


Phew...all done now.
Happy stamping...
Lisa xx

23 comments:

Mitralee said...

I was going to offer my addy for that card for Chistmas until I read the whole post and then I just wished I could make you unblue! Ok, since I cant bring your hubby home I will post my zombie cake tomorow...will that help? :-(

Rene said...

Wow! That is so pretty!!!!
Rene :D

Chrissy said...

Gorgeous blue Christmas card Lisa, and a lovely lump in my throat...thanks for that...now the screen is all blurry...[wipe..wipe]
and a very ladylike sniff..

Love crocheted flower, very pretty, and great pick from last week...now if you will excuse me...I'm off to blow me nose...

Luv CHRISSYxx

Anonymous said...

Oh my, just fabulous details on your card! The crocheted flower seems to be perfect for the lovely pp you used.

Shirley-Anne said...

Thank you lisa for sharing most tender thoughts with us .
Love the blue hues and lovely layout on your creation.Your pick of week is , I agree , CRIPES!!Will be worth a visit me thinks .
hugs Shirley-Anne

Lisa Jane said...

what a beautiful card - and such a beautiful snowflake .
Gorgeous words re your hubby.. i will mean so much to him.
Fabulous pick of the week... a really great idea
Lisa x

Lisa Jane said...

what a beautiful card - and such a beautiful snowflake .
Gorgeous words re your hubby.. i will mean so much to him.
Fabulous pick of the week... a really great idea
Lisa x

Unknown said...

Wow Lisa the note to your hubby is beautiful. Your card is gorgeous and I love the flowers!!!!! Excellent work my friend!!!!

Mary J said...

That is a brilliant choise, Lisa! So very clever!

I love your make too Lisa - so rich and gorgeous! Very professional!

Maire Gamber said...

Such a gorgeous card.... and blue is so appropriate. Think of you often and so thankful for the sacrifice you, your family and husband are making for all of us.
Hugs,
marie

Mitralee said...

http://mitralee.blogspot.com/2011/10/zombie-cake-photo-for-lisa-costume-idea.html

JUST FOR YOU

If this doesn't cheer you up, I might have to mail chocolate.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Lisa
Expressing sadness is the first step to exorcising this feeling, because by doing this, especially in this forum you will have like minded people who know exactly what you are dealing with when you have a loved one absent, unfortunately, I am not one of those people Lisa. Great help aren't I!
But I can critique your card.
Blue is a cool colour as you probably know, but I don't think you picked this colour because you were necessary feeling 'Blue'.
Blue is also seen as reliable, trustworthy, dependable and committed;it inspires confidence and so is great for sending out important messages, it is also restful, and calming, your subconscious was expressing itself don't you think? Goodness this sounds a bit deep!
Lets get to the basics, I love the design you have used and your added elements are gorgeous, The colour scheme is not traditional but all the same it is a lovely Christmas card Lisa.
Smiles:)

Faye said...

Thank you so much for the lovely comment at mine. I'm glad I stopped by as your work, including this beautiful card, is fantastic. xx

Jan said...

Great card & blog xx Jan

carol said...

Hi.your card is lovely, saw it on MIM x carol

Regina said...

hi, Lisa

your card with the lovely DSP is wonderful! You make a great work on MIM!

Regina*

Martina Rau said...

Your card is wonderful!

XXX
Tina

Michelle said...

Hi Lisa

What a beautiful sentiment to your husband.

Your Christmas card is fabulous, the colours work so well.

Love your pick this week, super creative make that one!

Michelle :o)

Jan said...

Great cards Lisa. I saw your card on MIM xx Jan

Margaret said...

Wonderful post! Just when I thought I was going to start blubbering all over my keyboard, you shared your 1 (sorta) Christmas wish, and I had to smile at your spunk! There is so much fabulous on this card. Like personally crocheted flowers (yet another thing to love about Lisa) and the shiny blue rhinestones and the way you used this DSP as a Christmas background! Oh, and the red felt snowflake turned vintage!
BTW- I'm sure Hubby is equally as proud of you! If nothing else he has to admire your incredible taste in men!

Flowergirl said...

Saw your beautiful card over on MIM, it really is stunning, love the little flower and the colours x
Wendy x

Liz said...

What a lovely card you did for MIM. The colours are beautiful and I just love the crochet flower

Unknown said...

I love your card with the non-traditional colors and you are a true crafter at heart. What originality and talent Lisa.

I am an Air Force brat so I know what it's like not to have your Dad home for Christmas. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers this Christmas. I am grateful for our military personnel, and their families, who sacrifice daily for the freedom we have in this country. May God Bless all of you and the United States of America!!!