Sunday, November 30, 2014

12 Tags of Christmas Ornament 9

Mason Jar Lid 9
Don't tell on me.  I should be cleaning and cooking for tomorrow, but this latest tag from The 12 Tags of Christmas would not leave my brain alone. 
So let's have a gander....
 
I, for the first time (and quite possibly last) used a fine sheet of gold leaf metal to cover my jar lid. I did like most times and ignored instruction, causing the most sticky gilded mess ever. I looked like I had tried to tar and feather myself in bling.  Needless to say, it got completed and once attached, I applied 'glob dots' of TH Distress paints in Black Soot and Antique Linen for highlights. THEN, if I wasn't plastered up enough (and I don't mean in the fun liquid way) I added even more sticky stuff to seal it all in with Mod Podge.
Setting that lid waaaay out of my sight for a bit, I focused on the inside of the lid for the background. I decided to have  my first play with the Tim Holtz Compendium of Curiosities Challenge #16 and whereby I am sworn to secrecy and cannot, out of respect and utmost admiration for Tim and his wicked groovy brain, divulge the technique steps. Except for to say that the challenge is Layering Stencil: Embossing, pg. 50.  That much I can say and the above picture shows some TH goodies I used to make mine.
Now to the 3rd step in this ornament. The inspiration piece that really jumped off of Linda's tag for me....the vellum!  Yes indeedy, Linda's creation is oozing with distinguished and lavish beauty and took my breath away, but I was hyperventilating at the sight of her translucent yumminess she included. My entire ornament is designed around the black, gold and cream colors and vellum.
Above you can see where I've drawn on the vellum.

Here I've added some liquid glass and opalescent 'snow' flakes to make my frozen lake.
Oh, one other thing. Linda's snowflake has musical notes peeking out from the rosette and I really loved that so I coated my traditional plastic snowflake with decoupage and then fitted a sheet of music to it best I could.  
Pine cones and foliage were added that mirrored the stamping on Linda's tag also.
Then the little skaters and the scenery was complete.
   And there you have it!  Ornament #9 completed and ready for the tree.  Speaking of tree, I need to get up, decorate and start cooking for the family.  
Before I go, thank you so much to The Funkie Junkie Boutique for sponsoring not only Linda's challenge at The Funkie Junkie but also for CC3C.  I'd also like to add this little ornament to the Frilly and Funkie Challenge for their inspired ideas for A Gift From the Heart.  My grandmother Jerry's birthday is on Christmas day and she LOVES to collect ornaments for her tree. It's the perfect gift!

For those of you whom celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving to you and for those that do not...I hope you have a fabulous and relaxing weekend.
Hugs to you and ALL and happy crafting,
Lisa x

31 comments:

Annie said...

Wow !!! This is amazing Lisa...............your creativity is wonderful.....love iot

TFS and huge hugs Annie xx

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Lisa, your ornament turned out beautifully and I have to say your blog is so much fun to read! Thanks for sharing this on CC3C, I hope we'll see a lot more from you!

Karon said...

Stunning creation. Love how you made the little ice rink! TFS and have a great rest of the week :-)

inreenesroom.blogspot.com said...

Awe, come on the house cleaning will wait for you. It's good about that! Love your creation. So very clever. I especially like your clustering of snowflakes behind the lid...

Jane said...

This one is my favourite of yours so far Lisa. I really LOVE it. All that gorgeous black and gold and the pool of vellum is inspired. The skaters set it off perfectly, it's a wonderful gift. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours x

sally said...

Knowing what a mess I get in when I try gilding anything...I'm glad we don't have to post pictures of ourselves in work mode, I'm thinking you might be too!

The results in the photo look quite stunning however :-)

Happy thanksgiving

Sally

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is incredible, Lisa. I love the texture on the jar ring - so cool. I've never used gold leaf but yours looks amazing! Your vellum skating pond blew me away and your background is sensational. I think the music sheet you added to the snowflake was the perfect finishing touch. Your aunt should be over the moon at this wonderful gift ornament. Thanks so much for playing in both my 12 tags of Christmas challenge and also Frilly and Funkie. Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hugs,
Linda

SD pooja said...

Loved the lttle skating scene you have created ! Specially the vellum lake n snow :)

Chrissy said...

WOOOW!! [said in a very long drawn out deep voice]..another gorgeous lid ornament Lisa..superb.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Pia S said...

Children dancing on the ice, musical notes, lots of snow.... Lots of things I love about this ornament, Lisa, but especially the whole nostalgic feel of this design.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow this is awesome and so creative I LOVE the ice too! flipping brilliant!
hugs me x

Susan said...

What a creative project, Lisa! This is so incredibly beautiful! The details are absolutely amazing - the gold lead, pearls, etc. along with all the lovely embellishments! Great job!

Mary J said...

Have I told you recently how much you inspire me, Lisa? Well you do! And this is so fantastic - I really wish I had your creative brain!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! The embossing is gorgeous and so are the die and embellies! You are rocking the 12 Tags! Thanks so much for playing along with us on the Layering Stencil Embossing Challenge at CC3Challenge!

Marie-Louise said...

Another stunning creation Lisa.

Rea' said...

OMG, this is gorgeous, the embossing details are beautiful, the colors ...OMG !!!

Tracy said...

I'm having the most fun picturing you with gold leaf and various sticky crafty liquids adorning your self. Hee hee. This is a fantastic project and I'm sure Granny Jerry will be thrilled. Love the vellum pond. You're so clever Twang. Hugs!

Sandy said...

Before you go --- Ha, Ha, Ha, or should I say Ho, Ho, Ho!!! I know you will be back. How many times have I told you to write your own book. But no ... Just like my own kids, you do NOT listen to me. So you let Tim Holtz make all the money on his books. Like he needs it!!!
Lisa your lid is fantastic - really grand!! But so is your writing! You are so dang funny and you inspire us all! Bravo Kid and yes, I have kids your age.
Oh woe is me!!!
Sandy xx

Annette Green said...

Holy cow, this is amazing! Love that frozen lake. So clever. So glad you're playing along in the CC3 Challenge.

Ina G said...

OMG so much fabulousness Lisa. This is awesome. So many layers and great elements. Love to have been a fly on the wall while you were creating this lol.

Teresa Kline said...

hi Lisa! wow, this is stunning!

sparkle & shine *~*

Candy C said...

Lisa...your altered mason jar lid is outstanding! Through all of your embossing and layering, you've really created such a weathered OLD looking piece! I really LOVE how this turned out. The little skater die cuts silhouetted on the front look amazing, too. Thanks so much for joining us at CC3C. <3 Candy

Jeanne J. said...

It still blows my mind that this started as a canning jar lid. Sounds like it gave you some trouble, the gold leaf, but OMG - GORGEOUS Girl!! You are amazing and inspire me to see things differently!

Marjie Kemper said...

Talk about upcycling! This is so beautiful and so clever. Thanks for sharing it with us at CC3C!

Nancy Dynes said...

Lisa,
You've taken a mason jar lid and completely transformed it into a family heirloom! I am amazed at your process and the beautiful effect you have achieved. I'm so happy you've joined us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
Hugs,
Nancy

Nancy Penir said...

Seriously need to borrow your magic wand used for this incredible 'tag'. To call it a tag simply doesn't do it justice!
And haven't you noticed when all is clean, it just gets messed, again?

Words and Pictures said...

Jaw well and truly on the floor! The rusty grungy gilded texture on the lid and on the background circle have me practically salivating... unbelievably cool! Another glorious ornament - I'm blown away yet again!
Alison xx

Jenny Marples said...

Well it may have been a challenge to make but boy was it worth it Lisa!!! LOVE the contrast between the aged lid and the vellum (what a genius way to support the skaters!) and the snowflake. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Anonymous said...

I love the effects on the lid, & those cute skaters!

Anonymous said...

Wow Lisa this is BEAUTIFUL! Love the ice and silhouettes. Just gorgeous! Your grandmother will be very delighted. Thanks so much for visiting and leaving me a lovely comment. I hope you continue to enjoy visiting my blog. Karen.x

Patricia St Martin said...

You are really getting more creative. LOVE the silhouettes, interesting way to add the snow. Just thought hope you show us how your ornaments look on your tree when you ha ve them all done. You know some way back I forgot to tell you how much I loved your darling snowman he is just darling. I really love the music sheet paper on him.
Hugs, Pat