Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fake Baked Cupcakes...

Hello all you wonderful crafty people!
For those of you who follow my blog, you'll know that I'm crazily working to make items for a fundraiser at the end of the month for Cupcake Camp KC, a wonderful project that raises money for childhood cancer research.   Here is the latest project I've been working on.  Originally, they were going to be ornaments, but I decided at the last minute to make them into little centerpieces. Thought they'd be cute for someones desk, or bedside if they're not feeling well, or just a way to say....you're special to me on someones birthday.
Here's the kicker...you CANNOT eat these!! 
As my body tried to keep pace with my mind in this creation, I forgot to take pictures at some points, but I think you'll get the gist of how they were made. Yes...that's Gaps and Cracks Foam.  You spray it into the cupcake holders just like you would when making the real deal.  This was my practice piece so I knew how high the foam would rise. Using a wooden stick, I leveled out the tops before they dried completely.

As you can see here, the foam sort of did its own thing and my attempts of "leveling" them went willy nilly anyway... 
I've painted them with acrylic paints to look like variations of cupcake recipes. Not really sure what the "poo" colored one is (gack) BUT...no fear, icing is on its way!

At this stage, right before the icing, you have to make your decorative ingredients. Here I've rolled Sculpey clay out to look like little cherries and then used the leaf cutter from a fondant cake baking kit as well. Little wire stems with a curly Q were then added.

Baked at 270 degrees for 20 minutes, let cool, paint with acrylics and then clear coated for shine...they're ready when the icing is.
Now, I forgot to take a picture of how I made the icing, sorry, BUT..it's very easy. One glob of Lightweight Plaster of Paris and a squeeze of acrylic paint and mix. Tossing the icing into a plastic sandwich bag with a tiny snip off the corner and squeeze the icing out onto the cupcakes.  While it's still wet, place in the cherry, leaf and I decided to use colored brads for my candies. I've also added a little wire loop at the top to make the hole for the future toothpick sentiments.

Here they are...
The plates were purchased at Dollar General and had a tea light in them originally, but they concave fit perfectly to hold the cupcakes upright.  The decorative cupcake wrappers were purchased from SVG.com and then the addition of the napkin was added.  I used Cotton Crinoline I'd purchased from The Funkie Junkie Boutique. Cutting it into strips wide enough to fold at the top, I then sewed around the edges, inked up an embossing folder and ran the material through. Then re-inked the sewing thread to give it some extra 'oomph'.  A little coordinating bow and sentiment were then added.



Here are most of them on a little stand I found at a flea market, Those Were The Days.
So, what do you think? Do they look done to you? I keep wanting to add more and more and I'd really love your input. Do I keep adding or do I walk away???
Thanks so much for your valuable opinion and your time spent here.
Hope you're all having a great week!
Hugs n' Happy Crafting,
Lisa xx

OHH....One last thing...
I had to share the display shelf that my husband made for me.
I came home with an old spool, 3 records and a knob and asked him if he would pretty, pretty, please, make a cute display for my booth.  Here's what he did (minus the bow..that was me)
okay...all done now!
Have a great one :)

Challenges I would love to enter:
Simon Says Stamp and Show- Anything Goes!

32 comments:

Mary J said...

What a clever man he is, Lisa - a cool stand! And I LOVE your cupcakes - the only problem is they look REAL! I'm sure I'd take a bite and break a tooth!!

Marie-Louise said...

Such fabulous cupcakes and fabulous cake stand. Your talent never ceases to amaze me.

Sonia said...

Just gorgeous creations,very happy for a present or centerprice my dearest friend^_^
I celebrate my first blogaversary with a surprise candy and if you want partecipate I'm very happy^_^
Big hug,
Sonia

Karon said...

OMG Lisa - I love these. At first when I linked to the post, I thought you had been baking!! These are amazing - love them all and what a fabulous fabulous idea. TFS and have a great week. Love the stand too - well done hubby!

Chrissy said...

They are just gorgeous Lisa, look good enough to eat...better put a warning sticker on..lol..love the record cake stand, fantastic idea..you are so clever.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Jeanne J. said...

You are just too stinkin clever and I love it!!! That first shot of the cupcake gor me saying Yuuuummmm like Homer Simpson only to read they aren't EDIBLE like NO FAIR GIRLFRIEND!!! They look amazing and that little tiered table from records is just brilliant! I love how you see ordinary objects into something amazing!

Regina Easter said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW NEED I SAY MORE...hum handy hubby to....

Lisa Jane said...

oh wow these are amazing .. and i bet you someone tries to eat one!! That stand is amazing too... think you could sell those in a shop!
Lisa x

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Q
I WANT ONE!!!!How innovative,where an earth did this idea come from? They are going to sell like Hot cakes!(sic)
Well Q what can I say that has not already been said that would put a smile on your face,you should be very proud of your self at this moment.... You do not need to add any more to these they are just perfect. I love what Eric has made also, and you will probably be asked if it is for sale as well.
Gosh I wish I could visit your stall it would be brilliant, you are working so hard I know it will be a total success and much fun, you must take photos.
Brilliant work my friend, you are inspiring.
Smiles:)
O

Kim x said...

OMG Lisa these are just amazing, I love then all, shame they aren't edible.
Thanks for your lovely comments
hugs Kimx

Tracy said...

Geez are there no limits to your imagination girl. Looks like it runs in the family too. Hubby did an amazing job with the parts and pieces you gave him. These will be a fantastic addition to your display. Hugs!

Rene said...

Is this an awful April Fools joke? You cannot eat them??? Normally I find you hysterically funny but not today...that's just cruel...I gained five pounds just LOOKING at them and you tell me I can't actually EAT them??? Shame on you Lisa!
;D
Rene

Tammy said...

Oh wow, wow, double WOW! Lisa these are just absolutely incredible and beautiful! I don't think they need a thing more added to them! Love the record rack, very clever!

Mitralee said...

Totally wish I could be there for the cupcake party. Looks like it's going to be a blast. NO do not think you need to add more unless of course you add glitter to something...there is always room for glitter...like sprinkles! LOL! Love these!

krcmasterpiece said...

GENIUS!! That's what you are!

Very cool cupcakes. Stop where you are-they look great!

Love the stand your DH made too.

Wish you the best @ the fundraiser. I'm doing one for my Relay For Life in May. An online art auction.

Hugs!

Shahrul Niza said...

Oh WOW!!! I have no words for all these sweetness. You're kidding me?? you make me want to get some of these NOW!! LOL. They are delightful. And I'm over the heels with that old record cake stand!! Your hubby is a genius :). I'll have lots of these mini vinyl records tucked in the closet :). HUGS.

Sharon Wheet said...

OMGosh! these look fabulous! and I'm sure alot of folks will tell you how 'real' they look! great job! I hope that your fundraiser is a great success and you have alot of fun!
a very sweet creation. TFS your process.

Shari said...

These are very cute! You are very clever!

Words and Pictures said...

Amazing cakes, and I just love the fabulous display shelf your husband made... a whole post full of wonderful makes!!
Alison x

Lori said...

Such a fun post... so cute cupcakes and those cherries take the cake! They look so sweet in the white stand and that record stand is awesome!

Meihsia Liu said...

Oh my god, these cupcakes are all so cute... ^_^

Michelle said...

Hi Lisa

Well heck there is just way too much creativity in this post, even your hubby is getting in on the gig.

Your cupcakes are amazing, so realistic. Love Hubby's stand very clever.

I really want that white stand too!

Sorry I have been such a stranger of late, hope to be better at keeping in touch.

Michelle :o)

Tracey said...

WOZERS! They look so real and yummy! So creative ...love them! Hubby is creative too :) Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show :)

Patricia St Martin said...

Lisa, OMGoodness!!! WOW!! WOW!!! I want all of them!!~! These are fantastic! These must of took you forever and made such a mess. I do have to ask... Did all the cupcakes sell??? If they did are you will to make more??? I'd be interested!
♥Pat

Patricia St Martin said...

Lisa it would be no hurry. I would like 4, one for each of the grand kids but if they would be a lot or you can write the instructions, let me know my email is icyurastamper@hotmail.com
♥Pat

Decosse's Dynamite Doodles said...

This is so utterly cool. It looks like not only are you going to be able to sell them all for the fundraiser but several readers want to purchase them two. Maybe you could sell them in your mom's store or on-line. With the incredible ideas you come up with there are plenty of fundraising opportunities!

Hugs,
L.

p.s. love the stand. Another cool creation!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wow, you take the (cup)cake, GF! These absolutely crazy wonderful - I can't believe how real they look. I was actually grinning from ear to ear reading your post and looking at the photos. Yu have done an amazing job, so many really cool details right down to the little glass dishes and the wrapping paper. I'm thrilled to have you sharing with us again this time around for Sunday Share at Filly and Funkie! Good luck winning that 25% off shopping spree :)

Hugs,
Linda

Shelby said...

Oh Dory Bird I've said this before, but you have got to be the most creative person evah!!! I love how these turned out (so damn real looking) and your masterful creativity shines through. I'm sure these will be a fantastic hit.

Shelby

Unknown said...

You crafty little maven. :) These are precious and I love that you shared how you made them. The stand your hubby made is fab too! Fantastic inspiration L2, thank you. Hugs, L1

Margaret said...

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! These are insane!! I actually blew past the gorgeous pics to read the how to first and then went back to see your calorie free goodness! Such a terrific idea and would make a fun little birthday gift too! Eric's record stand is awesome! So glad you're putting him to work and keeping him busy!! :)

Crafting Vicky said...

WOW this is soooo fabulous!!! After seeing the wonderful post on Lisa's blog I just had to come and register here to get your posts. You are so very creative!!! Just love the cute cupcakes and the awesome stand your husband made!!!

Anonymous said...

WOWZERS! these are flipping AWESOME! tehhehhehee.... so super yummi and what a brilliant idea love them! hugs me xx