Saturday, February 9, 2013

Party Like It's Mardi Gras Centerpiece...

Happy Saturday to you!
It's time again for another challenge at Our Creative Corner and I am so happy to be hosting this week as well.  Sadly, it will be my last DT post with this wonderful team. I have so much respect for them and their immense creativity and I've had the amazing opportunity of learning from each of them personally.   But I never like to part on sad terms, so we're gonna have a party!!
This week I have chosen an inspirational photo and the theme is....
Party Like It's Mardi Gras!
Create any project using the inspirational photo below. 
 Please explain what about this image inspired your creation.
I think this image looks like it could be a showstopper. The grandness of the details and the exotic gold leafing with the vibrant purples and greens inspired me to make a centerpiece and pull from it the greens and purples.  But first I needed something tall enough to take center stage.
So, I found this old candlestick holder.

With a sponge and Gesso, I lightly dabbed the entire surface to conceal the true identity and color; rather like a mask for Mardi Gras.

Next was sponging on lilac acrylic paint in a hit or miss random pattern, followed up by the same technique in metallic green paint. While the paint was still damp, I sprinkled on bits of gold embossing powder and then heated lightly.  
Once the painting was finished, I took a nail file to the edges and sanded down for just a little added character.
Next was to decide on the over-the-top focal point.  While perusing through some images, I found this gorgeous woman attired for the festive event. This is actually a photograph of someones real tattoo. She's been double printed so when the centerpiece is turned, it looks just the same on the back. Isn't the ink work amazing? But she needed a head dress of feathers and all I had was white. 
So, in a metal pie pan went 2 white feathers with a drop or two of Adirondack Meadow Ink and a spritz of water and colored them up. The second two feathers were colored with a combination of the lilac acrylic paint and water.
An edging around the rim of her hat and the eyes on the mask with SU! Champagne Glass was then added.
The final touch of the Fleur De Lis was attached  along with some white and gold mesh filler and my centerpiece was complete.
Initially I had pearls and gems and flowers and gold ribbon and I was really going to paint the town red, or purple, green and gold, in this case, but when I went to add them one at a time, it felt like the piece was rejecting them. It's bold, it's noticeable, it's vibrant in parts and yet it's refined with the the conservative base it all started on.
Well, that's it for me, let me know what you think and I'd really love it if you shot over for a visit to Our Creative Corner to see what stunning creations my teammates have made for 
Party Like It's Mardi Gras!! 

Hugs n' Happy Crafting,
Lisa xx




20 comments:

Mary J said...

Another incredible make, Lisa! Love that purple - really fun!

Marie-Louise said...

Wow - this is fabulous.

Shahrul Niza said...

This is naughty & fun centerpiece :). Tie along a string of LED light, would softly illuminating a romantic Valentine dinner of two :). Sweet thing!!!. Hugs.

Annie said...

Love this fab altered piece. The candlestick is amazing. Great make my friend.

Just a quick visit as I have been crafting and now want to have some fun time too x

Hugs

Annie x

Unknown said...

Great job Lisa, love the effect you achieved! Hugs Frea

Karon said...

This is so cool - love the candle stick and great use! TFS

Anonymous said...

That's one heck of a centre piece and defiantly a talking point too! hugs me x

Sandy said...

First of all, I applaud your creativity and secondly, I know that Linda sure will miss you - your team mates will too!
Lisa the vase is wonderful -- and that lady - wow! Yep - this is one wonderful tattoo - I bet that there is not a "I love my mother' under it!
So very creative Lisa!!
sandy

Tammy said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I keep trying to get started on my Mardi Gras piece and haven't. This rocks darling! Love the candlestick marbling and the lady image...fabulous and oh so FUN!!!

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wow Lisa this is absolutely fabulous!!!!
Kevin xx

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

wow amazing lisa!! you are just too creative i must say! a gorgeous design..love those feathers :)

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Q
I was so relieved when I saw your sample for your Challenge; I didn't know if I had gone too far!!!
This is amazing my friend, who but you would have thought to alter a candlestick to relate a party atmosphere, I can see this standing proudly in your Mums shop....Love the feathers(of course).
Your flair is just boundless to me.
Smiles:)
Onion

Sandy said...

Fabulous centerpiece Lisa, love that purple - you're so creative, such a fun piece!!!
Hugs,
Sandy

Meihsia Liu said...

Hi, Lisa, as always your creation is fantastic! I really enjoy the fun challeges you hosted for the last two weeks @ OCC. You are really a brilliant artist. LOVE & HUGS... ^_^

Mitralee said...

Great job on the redo! I like how it turned out with the gesso! And the feathers! I have a project myself I want to post for this challenge. Nothing better than feathers and glitter!

Tracy said...

If you hadn't shown us the pre-vamped candlestick I never would have suspected what was under there. You've done it again recycle queen. Les bon temps rouler! H

lalkygirl said...

wow lisa ,what a fantastic creation...i just love it..beautifully coloured and fab feathers....
tracey x

Lili said...

Your centerpiece is a masterpiece Lisa! Love, love what you did with the candlestick holder. The image is gorgeous and the feathers fabulous. Thanks for hosting
the last two weeks' challenges. I am going to miss you, sniff, sniff. Anyways I will be visiting your blog, so we can keep in touch my friend. You are very talented!!
Hugs ;)

Margaret said...

I bet this was so fun to make! I love the transformation of the candlestick and the tattoo/image is fabulous as the focal point!