Tuesday, December 18, 2012

You Turn Me On...

I'm sort of moving a bit fast forward on the holidays here, but thought a change of pace from making Christmas cards would be nice, so we're visiting another favorite holiday of mine, Valentine's Day.  For those of us who enjoy making cards for our main squeezes, but find it difficult to make it 'masculine', I'm hoping this offers you some worthy inspiration.  It's a bit grungy with a hint of flirty fun.
This card would not have been possible were it not for the cool little section over at Dr. Digi's House of Stamps, titled Bits n' Bobs.  Dr. Digi himself has offered up a collection of singular 'prop' images to use however your creativity sees fit.  The image I selected is none other than the Lamp, which I have paper pieced the lampshades.
The card didn't start out this way. It was by mere frustration with the original design that I tore off the first attempt and what was left remaining was this tattered musical sheet and it was PERFECT!  See the wording that remained in tact? Golden light...lamp?...awesome!
No card is ever complete without a little gift of love and appreciation, so I mimicked the card by decorating the box likewise.
Again, tearing the sheet music, bottom right you'll notice the words, "home in my heart." I know right? Go ahead, you can say it... "Awwwww."
 And to replicate the flirty fun, I found this vintage light bulb ad and added a sentiment from another add.
Hope you've enjoyed seeing this card and it's given you some ideas for making a Valentine card for your "Shmooky Pooky Woo-Woo Teddy Bear".. or whatever you call them. LOL!
Stop on by and say hi and check out the Bits n' Bobs and whatnot's, you won't be disappointed!


Hugs n' Happy Stamping,
Lisa xx




20 comments:

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Q
What grabbed my attention on this card was the ripped off music paper, I thought to myself, gosh Quirks has extended herself yet again. Why admit to a mistake? I don't think I would have, it would be my wicked sense of humour to have you all believing all this perfect work was truly through my talent, and not lack of it!!!
Great card, but I am way off thinking about V day I must say.
Smiles:)
O

Mary J said...

Oh I just love how you did the music sheet with the kraft - so gorgeous! And that deep red is wonderful with it too!

Sonia said...

Such a gorgeous card my friend^_^ Adorable image and beautiful details^_^All perfect as always^_^
Big hug,
Sonia

Chrissy said...

Fabulous fun card and box Lisa..a new technique has been developed, now I'll be ripping my papers off my cards all the time..lol..looks fabulous..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Mitralee said...

my comment on your card can be found on my blog...

http://mitralee.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-lil-snow-and-herb-ox-altered-tin-top.html

I am sitting here laughing at what I just wrote.....

Mitralee said...

still laughing..obviously I am not right...at all...love the sentiment the most..

Lori said...

I'm with you - already working on Valentines! The card and box set are adorable. Love how you did the plug and that red heart is perfect! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Ina G said...

Lias - there's that IMAGINATION working overtime again. Simply fantabulous - now we know you have bloopers but that was meant to be and look how it turned out - perfect.

Tammy said...

So clever! Love the torn music background!

Paper Profusion said...

Gorgeous work Lisa - very clever and fun packaging for your card. Merry Christmas, Nicola x

Words and Pictures said...

Scrumptious! The torn paper technique is so cool against the kraft, and the matching box is such a lovely complement to a fantastic card!
Alison xx

Angela said...

Wow, this rocks...I love how your torn off paper turned into something wonderful!

Jenny Marples said...

Now if you hadn't admitted to this being a rectified mistake I'd have been none the wiser as it works SO well. Strange how things like this happen when you least expect them. The neutral colours really set off the hearts and those lovely lamps. Looking forward to seeing more in the New Year. Have a wonderful Christmas, hugs Jenny x

Mary J said...

Me again! Just wanted to pop in to wish you a very merry Christmas, Lisa! I can't wait to see more of your original art in 2013!

Mary xxxx

Shahrul Niza said...

That was a gorgeous mistake!!. I LOVE the organic look of the whole thing, and you turn that into something flirty fun. Clever!!. Even the box is already so sexy, wonder what's inside?? :). HUGS.

Margaret said...

First thank you cards, now Valentines? I'm thinking you need your membership card to the procrastinators club revoked... Oh, wait, we didn't send it yet... :)
I love the weathered look your 'mistake' created and how the perfect words remained! Your lamp shades are fantastic (and now I'm wondering how I missed them...) and the gift box is wonderful too! Brilliant save!!

Jeanne J. said...

Only you could turn an accident into something amazing. I was grabbed by those stripes of music immediately. At first I was thinking what kind of washi is that???? Looks fabulous. Now for the hard part... me trying to case you! Really looks amazing.. great effect you achieved! Your card is sweet - love the lamps with teh sentiment, and my DH the electrician would love this!

Anonymous said...

Really different and total out of the box thinking! GREAT creating hunny! love it x

Unknown said...

What a fab masculine card and box L2! I love it and can't wait to check out that section at Dr. Digi's. :) You always inspire. :)
Hugs,
L1

Sandy said...

Awwwwwww